History of Avera Flandreau Medical Center
The Flandreau Municipal Board was created by City Ordinance-106 in September 1936. The building was obtained by petition of the people for a bond issue of $30,000 in 1935 and a government grant of $25,000. The hospital was constructed in 1936 and opened on May 1, 1937. The west wing was completed in 1960 at which time the original building was extensively remodeled.
From 1937 to March 1, 2011, the hospital was a "city" or "municipal" hospital with the City Council acting as a governing body assisted by an appointed Board of Directors. In 1987, the hospital was remodeled from top to bottom at a cost of approximately $450,000. The majority of this funding was obtained through a bond issue put forth by the city of Flandreau. Flandreau Medical Center became a "Critical Access Hospital" in January 1, 1999 and became a "Certified Rural Health Clinic" in 1999.
On May 1, 1999, the City of Flandreau and Flandreau Medical Center and Avera McKennan entered into a lease agreement.
As of March 1, 2011, the City of Flandreau transferred the hospital to Avera McKennan.