Public Health at Avera Flandreau Hospital
What Is Public Health?
At selected sites in South Dakota, community health services are delivered through unique partnerships involving local county government, local health care providers, and the Department of Health. Where the department once delivered community health services, it now contracts with private health care providers to deliver them under a Public Health Alliance entitled Alternative Public Health Delivery System (APHDS).
How APHDS Works
The Avera Flandreau Hospital agrees to:
- Offer community health services through the hospital
- Focus on health education and disease prevention
- Report to the state any data needed for federal requirements
- Work toward a healthy community
The County Commission agrees to:
- Guarantee specified funding to the Avera Flandreau Hospital
The State Department of Health agrees to:
- Provide a specified amount of funding
- Provide technical assistance such as health date interpretation, assurance and oversight of services provided
The Goal of APHDS
The goal is to support local health care systems while making the most efficient use of department resources. Avera Flandreau Hospital is in partnership with county and state agencies to provide Public Health Services to the people of Moody County. An array of services are provided through is collaboration such as:
- Client Need Coordination-referrals for health needs, food, heat, shelter
- WIC-education on healthy foods, nutrition, pregnancy, breast-feeding
- Baby Care-referrals for high-risk pregnancy, prenatal education, and optimal health during pregnancy
- Prenatal and Postpartum Services-risk assessment, case management, genetic counseling, education, and home visits.
- Immunizations-childhood and adult immunizations
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases-education, counseling, testing and treatment
- Nutrition Counseling-educational sessions about breast feeding, prenatal and infant nutrition, diabetes
- Health Screenings-hearing, vision, blood pressure, blood sugar, scoliosis
- School Health-health assessments, screenings, education for school-age children
Avera Flandreau Hospital Public Health Office is located on the hospital campus. For more information about these services contact the Public Health Office at 997-3779.